Scanning a Windows 8/Windows 2012 computer with ‘Report PnP Devices’ plug-in fails with 'Error (49)'
DESCRIPTIONAn attempt to generate a 'Report PnP Devices' from DeviceLock Enterprise Manager for a Window 8/Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012 computer gives 'Error (49)' error.
INFORMATION'Report PnP Devices' plug-in does not work for computers running Window 8/Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012, because Microsoft has removed an ability to remotely connect to Config Manager and obtain information on PnP devices tree.
For more information please refer to the following link:
(see CM_Connect_Machine() in MSDN "Beginning in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 functionality to access remote machines has been removed. You cannot access remote machines when running on these versions of Windows.")
RECOMMENDATIONSTo add a device to the White List with the operating systems, you must connect to the system with the DeviceLock Management Console and add the desired device to the USB Devices Database directly.
To do this:
- Right-Click on the DeviceLock Service node in the DL Management Console and connect to the endpoint that has the device connected
- Expand Devices -> Right click on USB Devices WhiteList and choose Manage…
- Click on the button labeled [USB Devices Database]
- Make sure you click on the [Remote Computer] button. Find the device in the list of Available USB Devices and Double Click on the device (either model or unique device) to add it to the Database.
- Continue at Step 3 below to create the White List.