Top menu

Topic: «USB device unmount error»

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Zsolt Sztano

User profile

Upon a device is used after being attached to the workstation devicelock somehow blocks it and cannot be manually unmounted (via the taskbar unmount icon). Windows always gives basck the "device cannot be stopped right now" error. If the device just plugged in and unmounted right away everithing goes right.
Does anyone occured the same problem, is there a solution to solve this?
We are using XPSP2 workstations, and the policies are managed through AD.

Zsolt
Posted: 04/08/2008 12:10:32

Roman Gaditskiy

Turn on auditing for USB and Removable, reproduce the issue and see what "Failure" records you have in the audit log.
Posted: 04/08/2008 14:03:41

Tom Chen

User profile

There is a chance with application still attached to the USB files or the files are still being accessed by the running application. It is possible that the application process is still runnning even when you closed the application. Use task mgr and check the processes.

Tom
Posted: 04/09/2008 01:09:33

Rodrigo Cruz

User profile

Hi,
I'm from Brazil and I have the same problem to unmount the USB device.
I had tested the versions 6, 6.2.1 and 6.3 but the problem continues.
Nothing reproduced in the Audit Log.
If I try just plug in and unmount right away I have the same problem.
Workstations: XP SP2
Server: 2003 R2 SP2 Standard Edition
Policies: Managed through AD

Rodrigo
Posted: 04/10/2008 18:24:36

Ekaterina Vavilova
Technical Support Engineer
Editor

User profile

Check whether SYSTEM account has Full Access on USB and Removable.

Posted: 04/10/2008 18:30:21

Zsolt Sztano

User profile

Still not. We also have centrally managed policies, but sadly we are just a branch, so internal rounds shuld also be run just to test out the above suggestion...

But plugging in, and unmounting works. But if I just starting browse the drive the device became locked and cannot be unmounted afterwards. Could it be that explorer.exe is became locked with browsing? Sadly by restarting explorer.exe the problem cannot be tested since the 'remove device' icon does not reappear on the statusbar.

Zsolt

:edit:
No it 's certainly not explorer, but wat could it be. I have shut down every running task (including devicelock ones, except lsass, services.exe, svchost, and the unstoppable system processes) but devices cannot be unmounted. Even killing and restarting explorer was without success (after restarting explorer plugging an another device gave me back the 'remove' icon).
Posted: 04/10/2008 18:35:00

Zsolt Sztano

User profile

Ekaterina Vavilova wrote:

In a managed environment (ActiveDirectory) how can a local user like SYSTEM be a part of a domain group?
Am I missing something about managing DeviceLock?

Zsolt
Posted: 04/10/2008 19:15:46

Ashot Oganesyan
Chief Technology Officer
Administrator

User profile

Zsolt Sztano wrote:
Am I missing something about managing DeviceLock?

There is nothing about DeviceLock! It is about managing Windows, just basic things.

If you need to add the SYSTEM user then just add it - nothing can stop you from doing so. Hint: change "location" from domain to the local computer in the Select User/Group dialog (this is the standard Windows dialog - not DeviceLock's one).

With best wishes, Ashot.
Posted: 04/10/2008 19:51:27

Zsolt Sztano

User profile

Ashot Oganesyan wrote:
If you need to add the SYSTEM user then just add it - nothing can stop you from doing so. Hint: change "location" from domain to the local computer in the Select User/Group dialog (this is the standard Windows dialog - not DeviceLock's one).

Domain groups cannot have local users as members as far as I know. Since our rules are managed through domain groups I cannot immagine how local users (like SYSTEM) can be put into these domain groups.

Zsolt
Posted: 04/10/2008 20:06:24

Rodrigo Cruz

User profile

Ekaterina Vavilova wrote:

I did it and the problem was solved.
Thanks.
Rodrigo

Posted: 04/11/2008 00:10:22