Top menu

Topic: «Managing DeviceLock via Group Policy Manager»

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Kyle Johnson

User profile

Hi,

I am trying to test your product with consideration to purchase it and implement the solution through out our organization. I download ed the software and proceeded to install the software on a test server. I also installed sql server. I would like to manage the DeviceLock software via your Group Policy Manager. However I am not seeing the GPM in the Device Lock menu. Is this because this is a trial version? I assumed that I could install all the Device Lock software on a test server on the domain and that I would be able to manage the system via the GPM on that test server. I'm confused. What am I doing wrong? Must DeviceLock be installed on a domain controller to use this feature?
Posted: 06/15/2007 20:07:30

Timour
Senior Technical Support Engineer
Editor

User profile

DeviceLock Group Policy Manager starts right after you have selected OUs to apply DeviceLock policy to in Active Directory Users and Computers/GPMC.

*Trial version is a full-functional one with no features cut. The only difference is that you can use it with only 2 computers. However, if you need more trial licenses to test, let us know.
Posted: 06/19/2007 11:34:00

davidm
Editor

User profile

To expand on Timour's response, for any domain admin to view/create/edit DL GPOs in full context, they will need the DL consoles installed on the computer being used to view/create/edit GPOs within the MS GPMC, MS ADUC, or even local GPE consoles. When creating a new GPO at the domain or OU level, you will see the settings tree for SmartLine DeviceLock under the Computer Configuration area.
Posted: 06/29/2007 00:46:05

Kyle Johnson

User profile

Thanks for the response guys. Sorry for the long delay but I have been working on some other projects and I have now gotten a chance to resume
testing Device Lock. So what you guys are telling me is that in order to manage DeviceLock via GPM. I must install DeviceLock on a domain controller.
Posted: 06/29/2007 16:18:38

roman_g

Kyle Johnson wrote:
So what you guys are telling me is that in order to manage DeviceLock via GPM. I must install DeviceLock on a domain controller.

It is not necessary. You can install DeviceLock consoles on any machine in your network from where you can edit GPOs.
Posted: 06/29/2007 16:32:22

Kyle Johnson

User profile

roman g,

Ok. This is what I have already done:

1)Setup the test device lock server
2)Joined it to the domain as a member server
3)Installed all the device lock software.
4)Install SQL 2005

I would like to manage devicelock via DeviceLock Group Policy Manager. I am not seeing an option for this in the Device Lock Folder. All I am seeing are the two other management consoles: DeviceLock Management Console (the MMC snap-in) and DeviceLock
Enterprise Manager. Can you please advise me step by step how I should continue if I want to use DeviceLock Group Policy Manager.

Thank You
Posted: 06/29/2007 16:57:14

roman_g

Since DeviceLock fully integrates into GP it doesn't need any additional consoles to work with its GP settings. All you have to do now is to start MMC on the machine where DeviceLock consoles are installed and use "Group Policy Object Editor" Snap-in for editing that GPO which is supposed to be applied on DeviceLock clients.
Posted: 06/29/2007 17:13:06

Kyle Johnson

User profile

Ok. Thank you very much.
Posted: 06/29/2007 17:18:44

Kyle Johnson

User profile

Hi,

I have been successfully testing device lock over the last week or so. I am very impressed with the software. I have two more questions:

1)I can see the device lock activity in the event viewer of the local machine where the service is installed. However I am unable to see the logs on my device lock server. I have configured DeviceLock via DeviceLock Group Policy Manager and since it is not possible to view logs via DGPM I opened up devicelock management console but the only logs I see is Server Log Viewer(all the others are empty). What am I doing wrong?

2)Is there a report I can run to see all devicelock activity from all computers where devicelock is installed?

Thanks
Posted: 07/09/2007 16:04:51

t-m00r
Senior Technical Support Engineer
Editor

User profile

1. You have not properly set up DeviceLock logging type. Must be either "DeviceLock Log", or "Event & DeviceLock Logs"

2. What do you mean? Settings report? yes then. Run DeviceLock Enterprise Manager => Scan => select the computers you would like report to be generated for => select "Report Permissions/Auditing" plug-in => press "Scan" button
Posted: 07/09/2007 22:17:10